1. Last weekend saw the club's finest don their newly pressed shorts and skirts, add a fresh layer of white to the old Greenflash and come out swinging for victory and prestige! Finals Day, in the glorious sunshine, didn't disappoint. An action packed day started with Coach Mark putting the youngsters through their paces in the morning. A great turn out and a lot of fun was had. Thanks to everyone who came down and joined in. More fun competitions will be coming soon - so keep your eyes peeled on your inbox and in the clubhouse! The morning, then turned to afternoon, the sun turned the dial up a few notches, and the masseuses were working overtime... a capacity crowd huddled to witness the 2018 Finals. Some enthralling matches were played and congratulations to everyone involved... The winners and runners up of each event were: Men's Singles, W: Adrian Camp (Fix!), RU: Chris Stoddart. Ladies' Singles W: Helen Sommerville, RU: Karen Harris. Men's Plate: W: Jason Debarros, RU Connor Osborough. Ladies' Plate: W: Gail Nash, RU: Gilly Tasker. Women's Doubles W: Helen Sommerville / Karen Harris, RU: Ruth Graham / Kristy Leeming. Mixed Doubles W: Hafeez Hameed / Debroah Schmidt, RU: George Elawure / Helen Somerville.
Now, I'm told that there was also a Men's Doubles final... Unfortunately though, it kicked off just as I started the BBQ and a gust of wind gently blew the slightest hint of smoke into my eyes which caused me to blink, and by Jove, by the time I opened them again, it was all over!! Only kidding.. commiserations to Mr Chairman and Dion Taylor, and congratulations to Coach Mark and Sam Dight on a very convincing victory.
Huge thanks to Cliff Graham for ensuring this year's tournaments were run with military precision! And the very same thanks to Ruth Graham, Helen Sommerville, Karen Harris for keeping us in cakes, salads and refreshments! The less said about the cremated sausages the better...
2. Well if any of you are still with me, I'll try to keep the rest of the points a little shorter... The next club open day will be in the afternoon on Saturday 29th September. More news to follow on this, but if you know anyone who would be interested in joining the club please do invite them to sign up for one of the free sessions with the Coaches! We're re-introducing a 'Finder's Fee' of £30 for anyone who recommends a new member so could be well worth your while! As I said, more to come on this, and we'd really appreciate it if members could share the promotional material on social media (when it comes out of course!).
3. Now the Club Championships are over and we've all got the competition buzz, we're jumping head first into the new singles ladders. Cliff, having cut his teeth on the Club Championships, is keen to keep us moving and active as we approach the winter months. Hopefully you'll have seen his email on the subject - there's one ladder each for the men and the ladies. I know there's been strong pick up already, but if anyone of you are keen and have not yet put your name in the hat - now is the time. Drop Cliff a note at firstname.lastname@example.org asap - the fun commences on the 5th of October.
4. Sticking to a theme this month, the Berkshire Winter Leagues are also almost upon us. We've got three men's teams, two ladies' teams and three mixed teams competing this year so if you're keen as mustard to get involved and represent the club please make yourself known to either Christian (email@example.com) or Fiona (firstname.lastname@example.org).
5. And just for you, I've saved the best for last. The news you have all been waiting for, and the first of myriad emails you'll receive from me on the subject in the next six months... OPT-IN FOR THE WIMBLEDON 2019 BALLOT IS OPEN - WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!! Do me, and most importantly, yourselves, an absolutely massive favour and opt-in straight away. It will be well worth your while I promise you. I believe the good folks at the LTA will be (maybe they have already) emailing everyone in the coming days to confirm this marvellous news and to give instructions on how to complete this simplest of tasks... I, for one, can barely contain myself.
As ever, any questions, comments, feedback or general gossip, you know where I am. Hope to see you on court soon. If you do, take it easy on me, as a nasty case of man-flu has kept me from the courts of late and doubtless a little more rust has been added to my already creaking game.
Royal Ascot Tennis Club is hosting its first ‘Play Tennis For Free Day’ of 2018 on 12th May. Open to non-members (and members) looking to try tennis for the first time, or improve your game with some tips from the coaches on hand and running free classes. We welcome all ages and standards.
Mark Magrath and Charlie Broad will be running free group sessions that can be booked online, so do take advantage. The 12th May is a completely free day.
You do not have to join the club to enjoy the day, however if you do decide to, we will waive the standard club joining fee of £30.00 if you join on the ‘Play Tennis Day’! We have many different membership packages available including mini, junior, daytime, student, full adult and discounted family rates.
Royal Ascot visitors, regular or new, can now book car parking for this year’s Royal Ascot Race meeting (from 19th-23rd June 2018). Booking forms are available online from today for both cars and mini-buses. Per-day prices are £20.00 for a car and £45.00 for a mini-bus. Spaces are limited and do sell-out well in advance, so be sure to book early to avoid disappointment.
If you are a member of Royal Ascot Tennis Club you can park for free at the club during the race week. Please make yourself known to the organisers on the day and display your name in the windscreen of your car so we know it's your car. Non-Members must pre-book online.
Non-Members must pre-book online.
Royal Ascot Tennis Club is hosting its first ‘Play Tennis For Free Day’ of 2017 on 30th April. If you are keen to keep fit in a fun and inclusive environment this summer, to play for the first time, to pick the sport up again after a few years in the wilderness or to improve your game come and give us a go! Feel free to drop in any time from 10am to midday – we welcome all ages and standards.
Royal Ascot Tennis club is a year round club with numerous social events through the year. The events take place in the spacious club house at Ascot Wood, and include suppers, barbeques and Christmas parties.
The club has teams at all levels in the Berkshire summer and winter leagues, and have club sessions three times a week through the year. There is coaching at all levels and for all ages, and an annual club championship tournament and other fun tournaments through the summer. Whether you are a future Murray or completely new to the game, the 30th April is a completely free day and refreshments will be available.
You do not have to join the club to enjoy the day, however if you do decide to, we will waive the standard club joining fee if you join on the ‘Play Tennis Day’! We have many different membership packages available including mini, junior, daytime, student, full adult and discounted family rates.
Long overdue, RATC is catching up with the technological age – we’ve just re-launched our website! Available across all mobile platforms, you can now easily access all the information you need to book courts, join or re-new your membership online, contact the club, read the latest news, discover our coaching programmes and view league standings, box league and club championship results all here in one place... keep tuned to this News page as we will be keeping it updated with more exciting news to come in the near future!